Red osier dogwood, Red-Osier dogwood, Redtwig dogwood, Redstem Dogwood, American Dogwood
- Main interest:
- bright red stems all year around especially in winter, very hardy.
- Soil & Exposure:
- full sun to partial shade, wetlands, easily adapts to large range of soil types
- pure white with pink, June to August
- dark green with yellowish leaf border
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 2: −45.6 °C (−50.7 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 5-9 ft (1.5-2.7 m) width: 3-6 ft (1-2 m)
- used for Christmas arrangement, nesting site for birds, butterfly and bee attractor, borders, hedge
With its absolutly gorgeous bright fire engine red stems, it’s no wonder this native to Canada shrub has been such a popular choice to lively up a garden in the winter time. Beautiful too in the spring with its large clusters of pretty white fowers, this shrub truly does shine most in the winter. When everything around is grey and devoid of color this Red osier dogwood will brighten up your garden with color and hopefully your day too. Not to mention this red osier dogwood is native. You will be doing birds, bees, butterflys, and nature in general a favor by plating this in your garden. Native plants are great for the local ecosystem. Lastly this shrub is incredibly easy to grow, it is hardy and easily adabtable to the natural conditions of your area.
$4.99 – $29.99