Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegatus'
Variegated Japanese Silver Grass, Variegated Maiden Grass, Variegated Miscanthus, Variegated Eulalia Grass
- Main interest:
- showy flower
- full sun to partial shade, medium water needs
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- pink to red , July to February
- yellow to orange by mid-fall, beige-tan for winter
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5: -28.9 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 5-9 ft (1.5-2.7 m) width: 4-5 ft (1.2-1.5 m)
- privacy hedge, specimen, versatile ornamental grass
Variegated leaves, upward-arcing stems and leaves, and very showy pinkish red flowers set Miscanthus sinensis ‘Variegatus’ apart in the garden. Provides excellent winter interest. Grows to 9 ft tall, and makes a beautiful hedge. New fallen snow enhances the attractiveness as the foliage, and flower panicles keep a good arching shape that lasts throughout the winter.