Actinidia arguta ‘Meader’ (male)
Meader Male Hardy Kiwi Vine
- Main interest:
- fast growing, beautiful foliage, green contrasting with red stem, pollinates female
- Soil & Exposure:
- partial shade to full sun, moist and well drained rich soil
- white, June to July
- lime green leaves contrasting with reddish brown stems
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: -34.5 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 6 ft (2 m) width: 20 ft (6 m)
- patio overhead, trellis, fence, wall, arbour
Actinidia arguta ‘Meader’ or Meader male mini Kiwi is a male variety of arguta Kiwis. Although this Kiwi plant won’t bear any fruit, a male plant is absolutely necessary to successfully pollinate your other Actinidia arguta female plant varieties.
One of the hardiest male varieties, it can survive to temperatures as low as -34 °C. Even if your not trying to make fruit these Kiwi vines are a beautiful addition to any garden.
Each male Kiwi plant can pollinate up to 8 female plants of the arguta species at most. Also please be aware this variety of Actinidia arguta does not pollinate Actinidia kolomikta female varieties (such as Actinidia kolomikta ‘September Sun’ and ‘Actinidia kolomikta ‘Vitakola’).