Clematis 'Vyvyan Pennell'
Vyvyan Pennell Clematis
- Main interest:
- opulent fully double deep violet-blue blooms with pom-poms, and darker purple and carmine bars
- full sun to partial shade, moist but well drained soil
- Growth type:
- twining climber
- Flower colour:
- double, semi-double and single, from deep violet blue to mauve
- deciduous, mid-green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: to -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 10ft (3m) width: 3ft (1m)
- patio walls, fences, trellises
Opulent, fully double deep violet-blue blooms with pom-poms, and darker purple and carmine bars in late spring / early summer. A second flush of blooms in late summer are single and more mauve in colour. Flowers are 5-8" wide, making Vyvyan Pennell perfect for creating a spectacular display on walls and fences or architectural garden elements in borders and containers. Used to great affect in the contemporary or cottage garden. Pruning group: 2.
Group 1 – Flowers only on old wood (previous year). Prune after spring flowering.
Group 2 – Flowers on both old and new wood. Little pruning should be done for woody-stemmed members of this Group. If cut to the ground or pruned in fall or spring, flowering will be reduced or delayed, but not prevented.
Group 3 – Flowers only on new wood. Can be cut to the ground in fall or spring.