Anthoxanthum nitens (Hierochloe odorata)
Sweet Grass, Holy Grass, Vanilla Grass
- Main interest:
- medicinal and aromatic, traditionnaly used by First Nations.
- full sun to part shade, moist to damp soils.
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- purplish-brown and white, June to July
- USDA Hardiness:
- Zone 3: -40 ° C (-40 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 1.5 ft (0.45 m) width: 1.5 ft (0.45 m)
- specimen, perennials bed
Sweet Grass (Anthoxanthum nitens) also called Vanilla Grass is found in brackish and salt marshes, swamps and river shores. This plant is used by many Indigenous peoples for traditional medicine and ceremonial purposes. The stems can usually be harvested twice a year.
$13.99 - $36.99
Synonym(s): Hierochloe odorata