Piilu Clematis, Little Duckling Clematis
- Main interest:
- showy flowers, long bloom season, repeat flowering
- full sun, average, moist, well drained soil
- Growth type:
- compact, twining climber/ground cover
- Flower colour:
- pale pink and red-violet, double and single
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 6 ft (1.8m) width: 2' (.6 m)
- container, cutting garden, ground cover, arbors and trellises, walls and rambling
Exquisite, two-toned, pale pink and red-violet flowers with ruffled edges. Blooms continuously, first as double blooms, and later in the season as single blooms. Noted for being one of the heaviest blooming clematis, the flowers can completely obscure the vine. At home in Asian, cottage, Mediterranean, traditional and rustic gardens on trellises, walls, and arbors, or simply meandering through shrub beds. Equally at home in containers. Hardy, resistant to deer, easy to grow and maintain. Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. Pruning Group: 2.
Group 1 – Flowers only on old wood (previous year). Prune after spring flowering.
Group 2 – Flowers on both old and new wood. Little pruning should be done for woody-stemmed members of this Group. If cut to the ground or pruned in fall or spring, flowering will be reduced or delayed, but not prevented.
Group 3 – Flowers only on new wood. Can be cut to the ground in fall or spring.