Phyllostachys aureosulcata ‘Aureocaulis'
Aureocaulis Yellow Groove Bamboo
- Main interest:
- golden coloured culms
- full sun to partial shade, moist, well drained soil
- Growth type:
- green, narrow
- USDA Hardiness:
- rhizomes hardy to zone 4b: -31 °C (-25 °F), stems to zone 6b: -20.6 °C (-5 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: up to 25 ft (9.1 m)
- hedge, screen, planters, specimen
Phyllostachys aureosulcata ‘Aureocaulis' or Aureocaulis Yellow Groove Bamboo is the hardiest bamboo with yellow culms. The culms emerge reddish yellow and beautiful, bright golden yellow as they age. Their tall, upright habit make them great for screens. Yellow Groove Bamboo reaches its mature high in approx. 5 to 10 years. Can also be planted in containers or pots, as long as they are brought indoors (cold frame or garage) in the winter.
In USDA Climate Zones expect the following mature size culm heights:
- Zone 7, 8 - to 20+ feet
- Zone 6 - 12 feet
- Zone 5 - 8 feet
- Zone 4b - 6 feet
Gain a hardiness zone with winter cover (a heavy poly batt, and a layer of light-coloured plastic). Loves Nettle Tea as a fertilizer.