Actinidia arguta ‘Weiki M’ (male)
Weiki Male Hardy Kiwi Vine
- Main interest:
- fast growing, beautiful foliage, green contrasting with red stem, pollinates female
- Soil & Exposure:
- partial shade to full sun, moist and well drained rich soil
- white, June to July
- lime green leaves contrasting with reddish brown stems
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5a: -29 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 6 ft (2 m) width: 20 ft (6 m)
- patio overhead, trellis, fence, wall, arbour
Actinidia arguta ‘Weiki M’ (‘Weiki Male’) is a male variety of the arguta Kiwi species. Although the Weiki hardy male Kiwi plant won’t bear any fruit, a male plant is absolutely necessary to successfully pollinate your other Actinidia arguta female plant varieties. Even if they are not producing fruit, this male variety is a attractive ornamental vine on its own.
‘Weiki M’ is known for being one the hardiest. It can withstand temperatures as low as -30°C.
Each male Kiwi plant can pollinate up to 8 female plants of the arguta species at most. Also please be aware this variety of Actinidia arguta does not pollinate Actinidia kolomikta female varieties (such as Actinidia kolomikta ‘September Sun’ and ‘Actinidia kolomikta ‘Vitakola’).