Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea'
Purple Periwinkle, Burgundy Periwinkle, Wine Periwinkle
- Main interest:
- unique burgundy flower, evergreen foliage, thrives in full shade
- full sun to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil; well drained
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- June to July
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 in (10 cm) width: 4 ft (1.2 m)
- groundcover, under planting shrubs and woodland gardens, border edging, banks and slopes, container
The Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea’, otherwise known as Burgundy Periwinkle is a fantastic groundcover. The masses of purple flowers are stunning juxtaposed with the dark green leaves. The flowers bloom mid to late spring and the foliage stays green year round. This purple periwinkle is most effective when planted in groupings and thrives in shadier areas.
Please use availability information as a guide only. The weather is a fickle thing, and impacts when our plants are actually available for shipping. Please be aware that we are not answering emails regarding plants availability. The best advice we can give you is to check back once in a while, choose a size option and check the current stock.
Also known as: Lesser Periwinkle, Creeping Myrtle, Dwarf Periwinkle, Running Myrtle, Common Periwinkle