Glyceria maxima 'Variegata'
Variegated Reed Sweet-Grass, Variegated Mana Grass
- Main interest:
- variegated foliage, thives well in wet areas
- full sun
- Soil humidity:
- wet soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- July to August
- variegated green and white
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5a: -29 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 2 ft (0.6 m) width: 2 ft (0.6 m)
- containers, water gardens, pond borders
The Variegated Reed-Sweet Grass has attractive grassy, green leaves with showy creamy white variegation. It gets even better in the spring when they take on a slight pink tinge. A cool weather grass, it does the majority of its growing in the colder seasons. Also known as Glyceria maxima 'Variegata', it grows rapidly, and does best in moist soil conditions (great in water gardens). This rhizomatous perennial grass has a tendency to run, so it is best grown in containers for better control.
Synonym(s): Glyceria aquatica 'Variegata', Glyceria spectabilis 'Variegata'
Also known as: Reed-meadow Grass, Tall Manna Grass