Schizachyrium scoparium 'Standing Ovation'
Standing Ovation Little Bluestem, Standing Ovation Blue Stem
- Main interest:
- colourful bluish green foliage in the summer, red-copper foliage in the fall, unique snow like seed heads
- full sun
- Soil humidity:
- dry soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- purple bronze with white seed heads
- Flowering period:
- August to November
- blue, changing to copper
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: -34.5 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 ft (1.2 m) width: 2 ft (0.6 m)
- border, accent, containers, wildflower, meadow and native grass gardens
The Standing Ovation Little Bluestem is worthy of applause all season. This native North American grass is good as ground cover of massing or texture in a rock garden. Sturdy upright habit of attractive fine textured blue-green foliage gives way to branches adorn with small flowers. Fluffy, light catching seed clusters when the foliage turns an intense orange-red in the fall. Enjoy this display of showy colour through most of the winter. Pair with Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’.
Synonym(s): Andropogon scoparius 'Standing Ovation'