Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida'
- Main interest:
- wonderful changing culm colours, refined shape & leaves leaves
- full shade, well drained soil
- Growth type:
- red and green culms, deep green foliage, evergreen
- USDA Hardiness:
- rhizome hardy to zone 5b: -26.1°C (15°F), stems to zone 6b: -20.5°C (-5°F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: up to 15 ft (4.6 m)
- specimen, dense medium tall hedges
Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida' is vase shaped like most Fargesia, although it has a more upright habit. It has elegant, deep green foliage. The leaves are slender with a graceful, airy arrangement. Young culms have dark orange sheaths, opening gradually to reveal culms ranging from steel-blue to lavender, olive green and red. A vigorous grower, it prefers full shade, but is more sun-tolerant than most other Fargesia. Scabrida makes a great evergreen privacy screen (growing to about 14 feet). Loves Nettle Tea as a fertilizer. Gain a hardiness zone with winter cover.
Synonym(s): Fargesia scabrida