Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Blue Jean Baby'
Blue Jean Baby Russian Sage , Dwarf Russian Sage
- Main interest:
- vertical accent, blue flower, long blooming season, drought tolerant, fragrant
- full sun
- Soil humidity:
- dry to moist soil; well drained
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- July to October
- greyish green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: -34.5 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 2.5 ft (0.75 m) width: 3 ft (0.90 m)
- border, foundation, mass planting, cut flower garden, container
Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Blue Jean Baby' is a less rangy, shorter Russian Sage (up to 34 inches). A herbaceous perennial, it is exceptionally cold hardy and low maintenance. This dwarf Russian Sage is one of the earliest sage to bloom, starting in midsummer and extending to fall. The fragrant, lavender blue flowers are held in smoky purple calyxes. Blue Jean Baby Russian Sage was heralded as the Chicago Botanic Garden Plant Evaluation Top Performer in 2020.
Perfect for Mediterranean style gardens and rock gardens, this compact Russian Sage enjoys full sun, and hot, dry climates. A wonderful addition to any border, or simply plant swaths of Blue Jean Baby Russian Sage for big impact in the landscape. Use cut flowers and foliage fresh or dried in bouquets and winter arrangements. Deer resistant and drought tolerant. Attracts pollinators.
Also known as: Compact Russian Sage, Small Russian Sage