Fargesia rufa (Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa')
Rufa Bamboo, Sunset Glow Bamboo, Dragon's Head Bamboo
- Main interest:
- shoots early in spring, dense foliage, low maintenance, non-invasive, exceptionally hardy
- partial shade to full shade, moist but well drained
- Growth type:
- dull red culms, green foliage, evergreen
- USDA Hardiness:
- rhizomes hardy to zone 4b: -31°C (-25°F), stems hardy to zone 6a: -23.3°C (-10°F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: up to 10 ft (3 m)
- specimen, dense medium tall hedges
Fargesia rufa is a beautiful, and extremely cold hardy and heat tolerant clumping bamboo plant. Originating in Sichuan Province, China, Rufa Bamboo is a favourite of Canadian gardeners. It is one of the first bamboo plants to shoot in the spring, and its bright orange-red shoots really stand out. Coral brown ligules are prominent. Rufa is a flexible, low maintenance bamboo choice. Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa' also performs well in partial sun or shade and is perfect for both beginners and more experienced bamboo gardeners. Fargesia rufa tolerates overall better the sun light than Fargesia nitida or Fargesia murielae. Loves Nettle Tea as a fertilizer. Use our winter cover to gain a hardiness zone.
$43.99 - $109.99
Synonym(s): Fargesia sp. 'Rufa'
Also known as: Rufa Clumping Bamboo