Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa'
Rufa, Sunset Glow, Dragon's Head
- Main interest:
- shoots early in spring, low maintenance, exceptionally hardy
- partial shade to full shade, moist but well drained
- Growth type:
- dull red culms, green foliage, evergreen
- USDA Hardiness:
- rhizome hardy to zone 4b: -31°C (-25°F), stems to zone 6a: -23.3°C (-10°F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: up to 10 ft (3 m)
- specimen, dense medium tall hedges
Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa' is a beautiful, and extremely cold hardy and heat tolerant clumping bamboo plant. Originating in Sichuan Province, China, Rufa is a favourite of Canadian gardeners. It is one of the first bamboo plants to shoot in the spring, and its bright orange-red shoots really stand out. Coral brown ligules are prominent. Rufa is a flexible, low maintenance bamboo choice. Rufa also performs well in partial sun or shade and is perfect for both beginners and more experienced bamboo gardeners. Fargesia rufa tolerates overall better the sun light than Fargesia nitida or Fargesia murielae. Loves Nettle Tea as a fertilizer. Use our winter cover to gain a hardiness zone.
Synonym(s): Fargesia sp. 'Rufa'