Vinca minor 'Bowles'
Bowles Periwinkle, Bowles Cunningham Periwinkle, Slow-running Periwinkle
- Main interest:
- blue flower, less invasive than other periwinkle varieties, evergreen foliage, long blooming period
- full sun to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil; well drained
- Growth type:
- slow running
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- April to August
- glossy green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 in (10 cm) width: 2 ft (0.6 m)
- groundcover, under planting shrubs and woodland gardens, border edging, banks and slopes, container
An award wining lesser periwinkle, Vinca minor 'Bowles' is an evergreen trailer, with impressive glossy green leaves that form a thick matt. It produces masses of large violet-blue flowers in spring, and flower intermittently through the summer to fall. The Bowles periwinkle is less invasive than other varieties. It spreads to 2 feet wide maximum.
Vinca minor (lesser periwinkle) thrives in a number of soil and light conditions, and as such is an excellent groundcover for under planting shrubs and woodland gardens; as a border edging; suppressing weed growth; and as a stabilizer on banks and slopes. It attracts butterflies, and is deer and rabbit resistant.
$9.99 - $24.99
Synonym(s): Vinca minor 'Bowles's Variety', Vinca minor 'La Grave', Vinca minor 'Bowles Cunningham', Vinca minor 'Bowles's Blue'
Also known as: Lesser Periwinkle, Creeping Myrtle, Dwarf Periwinkle, Running Myrtle, Common Periwinkle