Vaccinium vitis-idaea 'Red Candy'
Red Candy Lingonberry
- Main interest:
- large bright red berries, compact and vigorous growth habit, numerous flowers
- partial to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil; well drained
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- May to June
- glossy green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5a: -29 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 1 ft (0.3 m) width: 8 in (20 cm)
- ground cover, edging, winter graden, planters and containers, fruit production
Vaccinium vitis-idaea 'Red Candy' is a beauty in the garden year round. A compact evergreen with dark shiny leaves, it flowers early and heavily, and produces consistent yields of large, tasty fruit that stay on the shrub over winter. The Red Candy Lingonberry makes a stunning ground cover and container plant for the holiday season.
Birds are not attracted to eating the Lingonberry fruit – likely due to its intense tartness. It is enjoyed in many dishes that one would use cranberries in, and the much loved Lingonberry Jam. Definitely classed as a "superfoood", lingonberries have a very high level of antioxidants.
$14.99 - $37.99
Also known as: Cowberry, Foxberry, Lingenberry, Lingberry, Moss Cranberry, Rock Cranberries, Mountain Cranberry, Alpine Cranberry, Lingon