Miscanthus sinensis 'Rotsilber'
Red Silver Maiden Grass, Rotsilber Maiden Grass, Red-flowered Maiden Grass
- Main interest:
- pink-red flowers with bright orange-maroon foliage in the fall
- full sun to partial shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- reddish pink
- Flowering period:
- August to November
- green turning orange-maroon in the fall and tan in winter
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5a: -29 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 5 ft (1.5 m) width: 3 ft (0.9 m)
- low hedge, accent, containers, specimen
Red Silver Maiden Grass is a mid-sized Miscanthus cultivar. Its stiff arching narrow green leaves turn orange-red in the fall and a light tan shade in the winter. Reddish-pink feathery flower plumes rise above the foliage in late summer through fall and winter and then turn a silvery-white. This is an excellent grass for containers, borders, or a focal point. Both the flower and the foliage are used in fresh and dried flower arrangements.
Synonym(s): Miscanthus sinensis 'Red-silver'
Also known as: Chinese Silver Grass, Japanese Silver Grass, Eulalia Grass