Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Red Head'
Red Head Fountain Grass
- Main interest:
- purple plumes
- full sun, low to average water needs
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- purple, mid to late summer
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5: -28.9 ° C (-20 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 3- 4 ft (0.9-1.2 m) width: 2-3 ft (0.6-0.9 m)
- specimen, border, container, mass planting
Red Head Fountain Grass has beautiful huge plumes that appear mid to late summer. They are purple, and turn smoky in colour, and are sometimes as large as 3 inches wide and 8-10 inches long! In the fall the green foliage turns a hint of gold. In combination, the foliage and plumes make this variety a spectacularly showy grass, for several months of the year.
$11.99 - $29.99
Synonym(s): Cenchrus purpurascens 'Red Head'