Miscanthus sinensis ‘Gracillimus’
Maiden Grass, Chinese Silver Grass, Eulalia Grass
- Main interest:
- deep green foliage remains attractive from summer to winter
- full sun or partial shade, dry to moist well-drained soil, drought tolerant
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- deep coppery pink, mid to late fall
- deep green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 5: -28.9 °C (-20 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 7 ft (2.1 m) width: 3 ft (0.9 m)
- border, accent, containers, specimen, waterside
Miscanthus sinensis ‘Gracillimus’ grass forms a graceful upright mound of narrow green blades of up to 7ft in height. It is attractive from summer through the winter. Statuesque coppery-pink plumes appear in mid-late fall. Ideal for use in borders or the waterside. Maiden grass Origin: Asia.
It will extend the season of interest in a mixed border, this has fine, arching leaves with a distinctive white stripe down the centre. It does not flower as reliably as other Miscanthus sinensis cultivars, but when it does, it produces striking, silky brown flowers that hang like tassels in late summer and last well into autumn.