Athyrium filix-femina var. angustum 'Lady in Red'
Lady in Red Fern, Lady in Red Lady Fern, Lady in Red Northern Lady Fern
- Main interest:
- low maintenance, pest free, long lasting green foliage
- partial to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil
- Growth type:
- slow running
- Flowering period:
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 2 ft (0.6 m) width: 2 ft (0.6 m)
- border, ground cover, rock gardens, container, naturalizing
The Lady in Red Fern is a dependable addition to your shaded garden or containers. It features elliptic lacy light green fronds with contrasting burgundy stems. This pest resistant, easy to grow plant is terrific in containers, as a border and ground-cover. The burgundy stems make it a great choice to pair with purple-leaved plants. The burgundy colour of the stems might not develop before the second or third. Lady in Red Northern Lady Fern cultivar is more compact than the species.
Synonym(s): Athyrium filix-femina 'Lady in Red', Athyrium angustum f. rubellum 'Lady in Red'