Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Prince'
Blue Prince Juniper, Blue Creeping Juniper, Blue Prince Creeping Juniper
- Main interest:
- creeping habit, blue evergreen foliage, all year-round colour
- full sun
- Soil humidity:
- dry to moist soil; well drained
- Flower colour:
- Mildly fragrant
- Flowering period:
- bluish green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 6 in (15 cm) width: 4 ft (1.2 m)
- ground cover, border, rock garden, stone wall, mass planting, specimen, accent
Blue Prince Juniper is a beautiful, creeping evergreen shrub. Crisp, scaley blue foliage remains all seasons. Gains purple tinges in the winter.
This blue creeping Juniper is tolerant of drought and urban pollution but intolerant of standing water. It will grow up to 6" (15 cm) tall at maturity, and spread 4 feet (1.2 m) wide. Under ideal conditions, Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Prince' can be expected to live for approximately 30 years.
Blue Prince is a cultivar of Juniperus horizontalis which is native from most Canadian provinces. It is therefore really resilient to cold and hot dry summer.
This native cultivar is best used as a ground cover, and looks great climbing over rocks or cascading over walls.