Rubus occidentalis 'Jewel'
Jewel Black Raspberry, Jewel Blackcap Raspberry
- Main interest:
- antioxidant rich large black fruit with excellent flavour
- full sun to partial shade, average water needs
- Flower colour:
- Flowering period:
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: -34.5 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 ft (1.2 m) width: 3 ft (1 m)
- fruit production, edible garden, fence, trellis, low hedge, specimen
Jewel Black Raspberry is a small shrub, with clusters of black heart-shaped berries, which ripen from July to August. This is a spreading, multi-stemmed deciduous shrub with green foliage. It requires regular upkeep, which includes cutting back all dead, and two year old canes to the ground, leaving only last years growth. Attracts birds. Great for cooking, preserves, baking or eating fresh! Jewel Raspberry is known as a disease-resistant variety.
Also known as: Jewel Black-Cap Raspberry, Bear's eye Blackberry, Summer-fruiting Raspberry, Summer-bearing Raspberry, Summer Raspberry, Summer Black Raspberry, Floricane Raspberry, Floricane-fruiting Raspberry