Physalis alkekengi var. franchetii 'Gigantea'
Giant Chinese Lantern Plant, Giant Bladder Cherry
- Main interest:
- edible fruit encased in lantern, dried arrangements
- full sun
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- creamy white
- Flowering period:
- June to July
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 2.5 ft (0.75 m) width: 3 ft (0.9 m)
- specimen, containers, dried arrangements
Add unique interest in the garden with the Giant Chinese Lantern. The mound forming green foliage is the backdrop for the creamy white star shaped flowers that give way to bright orange-red paper like lanterns in the fall. Deep orange-red edible ground-cherries grow within the lanterns. Also called Love in a Cage, the stems adorned with the lanterns are used for dried bouquets.
Synonym(s): Physalis gigantea, Physalis franchetii 'Gigantea', Physalis alkekengi 'Gigantea'
Also known as: Japanese Lantern, Strawberry Ground-cherry, Love in a Cage, Winter Cherry