Fargesia rufa 'Little Red Head'
Little Red Head Rufa Bamboo, Dwarf Clumping Bamboo, Small Clumping Bamboo
- Main interest:
- attractive semi-evergreen foliage, low maintenance, non-invasive, compact selection
- partial to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil; well drained
- Growth type:
- green and red shoots
- USDA Hardiness:
- rhizomes hardy to zone 5a: -29 °C (-20 °F), stems hardy to zone 6a: -23.3°C (-10°F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 ft (1.2 m) width: 4 ft (1.2 m)
- specimen, container, shade garden, medium hedge
Fargesia rufa 'Little Red Head', known as Little Red Head Rufa Bamboo is a hardy clumping bamboo, shorter than the ‘Rufa’ variety. This impressive dwarf clumping bamboo displays blue-green shoots with striking red sheaths. Has an upright, cascading habit. A lovely, peaceful aesthetic when the colourful stems sway in the breeze.
This bamboo is non-running and is non-invasive. It prefers moist, organically rich and slightly acidic soil. Little Red Head Rufa is low maintenance and can tolerate drought. Best grown in full shade but can tolerate partial shade.
Also known as: Little Red Head Rufa Clumping Bamboo, Little Red Head Sunset Glow Bamboo, Little Red Head Dragon's Head bamboo, Compact Clumping Bamboo, Small Rufa Bamboo, Compact Rufa Bamboo, Dwarf Rufa Bamboo, Small Sunset Glow Bamboo, Dwarf Sunset Glow Bamboo, Compact Sunset Glow Bamboo, Small Dragon's Head Bamboo, Dwarf Dragon's Head Bamboo, Compact Dragon's Head Bamboo