Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'
Royal Purple Smoke Bush Tree
- Main interest:
- colourful foliage, smoky pink plumes
- full sun, average, moist, well-drained soil
- Growth type:
- upright and open, fast growth
- Flower colour:
- smoky pink panicles
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4: -34.4 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 10ft (3m) width: 3ft (1m)
- borders, hedge or privacy screen, specimen
An award winning spectacular shrub, with a very long season of interest. Deep maroon leaves turn to dark red-purple in the summer, and look almost translucent when back lit by the sun. Fluffy, smoke-like plumes of purplish-pink flowers bloom midsummer. Foliage turns magenta and yellow in the autumn. A large hardy shrub, with several stems and an upright growth habit, it can be pruned into a tree. Good resistance to deer and drought, it accepts almost any soil type. Provides excellent contrast in the garden, and is lovely planted with pink and purple clematis. A wonderful hedge or accent shrub.