Vitis 'Trollhaugen' (seedless)
Trollhaugen Grape, Blue Grape Vine, Blue Table Grape, Blue Seedless Grape
- Main interest:
- blue seedless grape, sweet and mild, Concord-like flavour, great eaten fresh
- full sun, moderate moisture requirements
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- white, June
- green, fall colours turn to orange, red and purple
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4b: -31.5 °C (-25 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 10-12 ft (3-3.65 m) width:6-10 ft (1.8-3 m)
- fruit production, edible garden, orchard, fence, trailing, patio, screen
Trollhaugen Blue Grape Vine (Vitis 'Trollhaugen') produces medium-sized blue grapes with sweet, mild Concord-like flavour. It has sweeter berries with thinner skin and, is hardier (zone 4b) than 'Concord' grape. Trollhaugen Grape is more disease resistant than Montreal Blues grape.
These grapes grow in compact, medium sized clusters and ripen in early to mid-September. Considered an early/mid-season grape variety, it requires 950 to 1000 temperature degree-days (950 to 1000 daylight hours at 10 °C). The blue seedless grape clusters can remain on the vine until first frost while maintaining flavour.
Trollhaugen is a very vigorous, self-pollinating vine. An ideal climber to cover fences, pergolas and trellis.
Some sources are claiming Tollhaugen to be a blue seedless table grape, others to be seeded. This variety may carry a few seeds on exceptional years under specific soil and climate conditions (drought for example). This delicious blue table grape is ideal eaten fresh.
Also known as: Blue grapevine, Black grape vine, Black grapevine, Black grape, Blue seedless table grape, Black seedless grape, Black table grape, Black seedless table grape, Early-season Blue Grape, Mid-season Blue Grape, Hardy Blue Grape, Hardy Blue Seedless Grape, Hardy Blue Table Grape