Aronia melanocarpa 'Viking'
Viking Black Chokeberry, Aronia Berry
- Main interest:
- beautiful fall colors and edible fruit used in jams, jellies, juices and pies
- full sun, moist to wet soils
- Flower colour:
- white, June to July
- glossy dark green
- USDA Hardiness:
- Zone 3: -40 ° C (-40 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 8 ft (2,4 m) width: 5 ft (1,5 m)
- hedge, borders, naturalized areas and wet terrains such as bogs
The black chokeberry shows attractive clusters of white flowers in late spring. 'Viking' cultivar can grow up 8 feet tall. Fruits are slightly smaller than that of the 'McKenzie' cultivar. In the fall, the leaves turn into a reddish-orange colour. Grows in a variety of soils, including boggy soil. The fruit is bitter, and is popular in jams, jellies and pies.
Please use availability information as a guide only. The weather is a fickle thing, and impacts when our plants are actually available for shipping. Please be aware that we are not answering emails regarding plants availability. The best advice we can give you is to check back once in a while, choose a size option and check the current stock.
Synonym(s): Photinia melanocarpa