Athyrium niponicum 'Silver Falls'
Silver Falls Japanese Painted Fern, Silver Falls Painted Fern, Silver Falls Fern, Silver Falls Painted Lady Fern
- Main interest:
- low maintenance, pest free, long lasting foliage
- partial to full shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil
- Growth type:
- slow running
- Flowering period:
- white, purple, silver-green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 4a: -34.5 °C (-30 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 1.5 ft (0.45 m) width: 1.5 ft (0.45 m)
- border, ground cover, rock gardens, container, naturalizing
The Japanese Painted Fern ‘Silver Falls’ (Athyrium niponicum 'Silver Falls') differs from the Japanese Painted Fern 'Pictum' by having more silver in the fronds and a longer period of good silver colour. Its triangular fronds are a soft dark green with an overlay of long lasting silvery hues accented by contrasting dark maroon stems. As one of the easiest and most rewarding hardy ferns it is terrific for a shade border, in a rock garden, or in a mixed container.
Synonym(s): Athyrium niponicum var. pictum 'Silver Falls'