Schizachyrium scoparium 'Twilight Zone'
Twilight Zone Little Bluestem
- Main interest:
- unique color, deer resistant
- full sun, dry to average soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- tan, mid fall
- green and purple shades
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3: -40 ° C (-40 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 ft (1.2m) width: 2 ft (0.6m)
- border, drought plant, erosion control, mass planting, easy to grow
Twilight Zone Schizachyrium is a Schizachyrium variety that boasts a unique iridescent silvery-mauve colour throughout the tips of the foliage, beginning in midsummer. In the fall a brighter purple appears on the flower stems, which bloom tan. This variety can withstand hot, dry conditions, and can be grown where other plants might have a hard time surviving. Great for borders, restoring eroded sites, and mass planting.
Synonym(s): Andropogon scoparius 'Twilight Zone'