Spiraea japonica 'Macrophylla'
Big Leaf Spirea
- Main interest:
- red or purple stems, very large green leaves which turn orange in the fall, very hardy
- full sun, medium well-drained soil
- Flower colour:
- light pink, June to July
- green turning to orange, deciduous
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 5 ft (1.5 m) width: 5 ft (1.5 m)
- border, hedge, screen, wind break, specimen
Native to Japan, Spiraea japonica 'Macrophylla' is grown for its colourful red or purple stems and large green leaves, which turn orange in the fall. Clusters of light pink flowers bloom in June and July. This deciduous shrub grows to 5 ft in height and width, and works well as a hedge or specimen.