Schizachyrium scoparium ‘Prairie Blues’
Prairie Blues Little Bluestem
- Main interest:
- blue leaves, easy to grow, deer and drought resistant
- full sun, dry to medium soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- brown & silver, early fall
- green, with blue at the base
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3: -40 ° C (-40 ° F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 4 ft (1.2 m) width: 2 ft (0.6m)
- wild gardens, ornamental grass borders, meadows, cottages, groupings, mass planting
Prairie Blues Little Bluestem typically grows 4 feet tall in slender clumps. Gray blue foliage turns bronze-orange in the fall. Bronze flowers bloom in 3 inch long racemes on stems that rise above the plant in August. These flowers are followed by seed heads which are fluffy and silver.
Synonym(s): Andropogon scoparius 'Prairie Blues'