Golden clematis, Russian Virgin's Bower
- Main interest:
- beautiful yellow flowers have late blooming period
- full sun to partial shade, medium moist well-drained soil, tolerant to poor soil
- Flower colour:
- yellow and brown, summer to fall
- deep green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 2: -45.6 °C (-50 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 15 ft (4.6 m) width: 10 ft (3.1 m)
- patio walls, fences, trellises
Native to Asia, Golden clematis is grown for its wall climbing nature and late blooming period. It has deep green foliage, with yellow and burnt umber bell-shaped flowers blooming from summer to fall. It grows to 15 ft tall and 10 ft wide. It will be necessary to attach wires or a trellis to the wall to provide support for this beautiful yellow clematis. Pruning Group: 3.
Group 1 – Flowers only on old wood (previous year). Prune after spring flowering.
Group 2 – Flowers on both old and new wood. Little pruning should be done for woody-stemmed members of this Group. If cut to the ground or pruned in fall or spring, flowering will be reduced or delayed, but not prevented.
Group 3 – Flowers only on new wood. Can be cut to the ground in fall or spring.