Aconitum x cammarum 'Bicolor'
Bicolor Monkshood, Purple and White Monkshood, Bicolour Wolf's Bane
- Main interest:
- attractive purple and white flowers, low maintenance, long lived blossom
- full sun to partial shade
- Soil humidity:
- moist soil
- Growth type:
- Flower colour:
- purple and white
- Flowering period:
- glossy dark green
- USDA Hardiness:
- zone 3a: -40 °C (-40 °F) View Zone Map
- Mature height & width (max.):
- height: 3 ft (0.9 m) width: 1.5 ft (0.45 m)
- border, garden bed, container, cut flower, attracts pollinators
Aconitum x cammarum ‘Bicolor is an attractive hybrid of Purple Wolf’s Bane. This is a popular ornamental plant that makes excellent cut flowers and is very easy to grow. The violet blue and white blooms appear on tall flowering spikes in mid to late summer. Wolf’s Bane is well known for its high toxicity and should always be handled with care as all parts of the plant contain the poisonous alkaloid aconitine. This perennial is also called Monkshood because the unique shape of the flower resembles the cloth hood worn by medieval monks.
Synonym(s): Aconitum cammarum 'Bicolor', Aconitum x cammarum 'Bicolour', Aconitum napellus 'Bicolor'
Also known as: Purple Wolf's Bane 'Bicolor', Bicolor Wolfsbane, Bicolor Aconite, Bicolor Mousebane, Bicolor Women's Bane, Bicolor Devil's Helmet, Bicolor Queen of Poisons